Skip to Content


The Utah Transfer Guide and participating institutions support our veterans and understand that the educational needs of veterans can be unique.

Use the resources below to help get the degree that you desire.

Apply for GI Bill Benefits

Your first step is finding out what education benefits you are eligible to receive. You can do this by going to the GI Bill Website or by getting a benefits application from the Veterans Affairs (VA) Certifying Official at the college or university you plan to attend.

You also should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA serves as the application for most federal financial aid for college, such as grants, loans and work-study funds, as well as state aid.

Contact a VA Certifying Official

All approved colleges, universities, and programs have a VA Certifying Official who can assist you with the benefits process and exploring your educational options.

To find the VA Certifying Official at your school, go to the federal WEAMS Institution Search or visit your college or university website.

Get Credit Where Credit is Due.

As a veteran or service member, you may be eligible to receive college credit for learning you acquired in the military through training, coursework, or occupational specialty. This may shorten the amount of time it will take to complete your degree. Make sure you meet with your college advisor to discuss credit from any of these options:

  • Credit from Colleges and Universities

    • If you attended a college or university in the past, you may have transfer credit that can be applied to your new program. Use the Search for Course Equivalencies to see how credit transfers to Utah public colleges and universities.
  • Credit for Learning Acquired through Military Service

    • The American Council on Education (ACE) collaborates with the U.S. Department of Defense to review military training and experiences and recommend appropriate college credit. ACE’s credit recommendations appear in the ACE Military Guide and on military transcripts.
  • Credit by Examination

  • Credit for Workplace Learning

    • You may be able to receive credit for professional development and training courses offered by business and industry. If you think you have prior learning that could count as college credit, contact the college or university directly.

Create a Utah Transfer Guide Account

Having a Utah Transfer Guide student account allows you to compile your course history in one location, compare transfer credit for Utah public colleges and universities, and track your transfer progress.

Sign Up