Skip to Content

Common Questions

Each college and university in Utah has unique admission and evaluation criteria. Please refer to transferring guidelines at the institution from which you intend to graduate. For transferring guidelines, visit the College Profile or institution's website which may be found on their College Profile.

Course articulations appearing in the Utah Transfer Guide database are subject to change.

What is Transfer Credit?

Transfer credit refers to credit earned at one college or university that is transferred to a second institution. During the transfer credit evaluation process, the receiving institution evaluates the classes taken and credits earned at each institution to determine which courses will be accepted in transfer and how those courses will apply to the requirements for the program into which you are transferring. After the transfer evaluation is completed by the receiving institution, transfer credit will appear on a student's academic transcript from that institution.

Who decides if and how credits transfer?

How credit transfers is determined by the receiving institution’s transfer credit policies and by academic departments. Since course content and learning outcomes can change, articulation decisions carry effective dates. Course and articulation data is updated routinely.

Do all colleges award the same transfer credit?

How credits transfer is specific to the receiving institution; any two colleges or universities may treat the same class differently. To be sure you know how your class(es) will transfer, speak to an advisor at the campus you'll be transferring credit to.

Are there different types of transfer credit?

All credits transfer at public colleges and universities in Utah except developmental or remedial credits. For transfer of credit from non-public colleges and universities in Utah, courses are evaluated on a course-by-course basis. In both instances, how credits transfer is the more critical issue. There are two primary types of transfer credit:

  • Equivalent Credit - The receiving institution accepts the transfer course as equivalent to their course. Equivalent credit means the institution(s) will treat the class as if you had taken the class on their campus
  • Elective Credit - The transfer course does not have a specific equivalent course at the receiving institution(s). The course does not fulfill major requirements; however, it may still be used as elective credit.

Do courses with "D" grades transfer?

Each institution has its own criteria for minimum grades accepted for transfer. For more information about a college or university's transfer credit policies, contact an advisor at the college or university where you intend to transfer or look up the institution's profile.

Do I need a certain GPA or other requirements to transfer institutions?

Some institutions have a required GPA for transfer students. Some majors require prerequisite courses, a minimum GPA, special application, or other requirements prior to transferring. To find out if your intended major has any special admissions criteria, contact an advisor at the college or university where you intend to transfer.

Do remedial or developmental classes transfer?

At public colleges and universities in Utah, remedial or developmental courses do not transfer. However, while these courses do not apply toward your degree requirements, they can be necessary "refresher" courses for students who need help to improve math and writing skills to ensure success with regular college courses.

Can I use my general education Interstate Passport?

The eight degree-granting colleges in the Utah System of Higher Education participate in the Interstate Passport Network, a network of institutionally accredited institutions that agree to transfer completed lower division general education requirements as a block in a seamless and efficient process among its members. Students who earn and transfer with a Passport to a Network member institution will not have to repeat or take additional courses to satisfy lower-division general education requirements.

Can transfer students participate in athletics?

Typically, yes, provided the student athlete meets NCAA eligibility requirements. Check out College Profiles for more information

When should I apply to transfer credit?

Complete an application for admission (or readmission) at least two semesters before you plan to attend. For example, apply for fall semester in the early spring. This will give you enough time to submit the appropriate application forms and have official college transcripts sent to the receiving college or university for review. Remember, you must have an official college transcript sent directly from each institution where your completed the course(s). If you transferred multiple times, then you will need to contact each prior institution. Since it may take at least 6-8 weeks for delivery, make sure you apply early and are aware of any pending application and scholarship deadlines.

How many credits can I transfer?

Although institutions generally accept an unlimited number of transfer credits, each institution has limits on the maximum number of credits it will apply to a certificate or degree program. To learn about transfer credit limits, contact an advisor on the campus where you intend to transfer credit.

Why isn't my class listed in this guide?

If you don't see the course you are looking for, it does not mean it will not transfer. Contact the college where you plan to transfer for more information. Not sure who to contact? Check the College Profiles.

Why isn't my college listed in this guide? serves the eight public colleges and universities in the Utah System of Higher Education. Other for-profit or private colleges and universities are not listed in this guide. Ask an advisor at your college or university if you have questions about transferring to for-profit or private institutions.